Thursday, July 1, 2010

MENTO REHAB

Around this time last year a friend of mine in Jamaica was styling a group described to me as Jamaica's version of the Buena Vista Social Club. I was intrigued, because it reminded me of my Dad's band that plays out at the oldies functions. So after seeing a couple of pictures and hearing 2 songs on youtube of The Jolly Boys, I was lulled into waiting for the album. Now into the next decade my interest is peaked by the new video for the cover of Amy Winehouse's anti-authority ode Rehab. The visuals are stunning and distinctly Jamaican. Somehow an aged smile with no front teeth are comforting.

As for The Jolly Boys album, it is scheduled for a release before the end of the year with the title called Great Expectations. Expect more covers that range the contemporary musical spectrum. Get prepared to hear covers of The Doors' Riders on the Storm, The Clash performed I Fought the Law, and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. -Safari-

photos by Jamil GS

No comments:

Post a Comment